E’s school does a play/musical every spring. This year’s selection was Mary Poppins! One of my favorite movies of all time!! Yay!!!
And, as typical, I could not stop myself from volunteering to make some of the costumes.
Which ended up being 8 pinafores, 15 suffragette sashes, a maid’s skirt, a maid’s mop cap, and 2 Downton Abbey-esque aprons.
Here are some pictures of the play.
E is the one with the floppy blonde hair. Each sweep needed a touch of red on their black outfits. It was a very clever idea and worked so well.
I totally wanted to make one of those aprons for myself. But then I reconsidered. My kids already think of me as their personal maid. I don’t want to solidify the image for them.
The banners/sashes were soooo tedious to make. I could do 4 letters at a time and then I had move the fabric in the embroidery frame. And the pictures of them aren’t good, but you can see the bright red lettering on the white satin pretty clearly from the audience.
I loved making the pinafores. They were so cute and I put lace on the shoulders of all of them and did pin-tucks to give the skirts some volume.
For the first time ever I didn’t get picture of the costumes on E. I was under such a deadline crunch with the costumes that it didn’t leave me time to much of anything else. But! That doesn’t matter so much – the play was a success! The children were happy! The parents were thrilled! And we made it home before the 18 inches of snow fell to the ground and we were house bound for 2 days. (At least we had hot chocolate and marshmallows!)